About This Talk
Are you using technology to make the world a better place? We all have a role to play. As technologists, we have the opportunity to find solutions for complex challenges — and Django has the superpowers to meet the need. Django is used every day to bring impressive, purposeful and transformative projects to life. Calvin Hendryx-Parker, Six Feet Up CTO and AWS Community Hero, will discuss what makes a project IMPACTFUL. He’ll share examples of how Django has been used to: predict when and where lightning will strike in just seconds, map forest fire trajectory, streamline battery energy storage operations and more.Buy Tickets Now
- PyCon (April 2022): Calvin presented “Bootstrapping a Local Python Environment”
- Python Web Conference (March 2022): Calvin presented two talks including: “Predict Lightning Strikes using Django and AWS” and “Data Pipeline Modernization at Scale”
- Datanami (October 2021): Calvin was featured as an expert in the article, “What’s Driving Python’s Massive Popularity?”
- DjangoCon (October 2021): Calvin presented on “Bootstrapping your Local Python Environment.”
- PyOhio (August 2021): Calvin presented on how to hack Django Channels to seamlessly integrate Slack into the virtual event platform via “Hacking Django Channels for Fun (and Profit).”
- DjangoCon Europe (June 2021): Calvin presented on how to use containers to implement a process that focuses on the developer experience and application delivery via “Deploying a Django Virtual Event Platform Using Containers and Terraform.”
- App Developer Magazine (May 2021): Calvin shares why Python — with its “batteries-included” standard library — is one of the best languages for both beginner and advanced developers in the article, “4 Reasons Python is Taking Over the World.”
- Cloud Field Day 10 (April 2021): Calvin was selected as a Field Day Delegate and invited to participate in Cloud Field Day 10 — a multi-day discussion with leaders and product managers from enterprise IT companies including NetApp, Dell Technologies, VMware, Oracle, Scality, Veeam, Intel, Komprise and StorageOS.
Calvin Hendryx-Parker is the co-founder and CTO of Six Feet Up, a Python and Cloud expert consulting company that helps organizations build apps faster, innovate with AI/ML, simplify Big Data, and leverage Cloud technology. At Six Feet Up, Calvin establishes the company’s technical vision and leads all aspects of the company’s technology development. He provides the strategic vision for enhancing the offerings of the company and infrastructure, and he works with the team to set company priorities and implement processes that will help improve product and service development.
In 2019, Calvin was named an AWS Community Hero — one of only 24 Heroes in North America. He is the founder and host of the Python Web Conference, the largest worldwide event for web developers; the co-founder of IndyPy, the largest Python meetup in Indiana with 1,900+ members; and the founder of IndyAWS, the fastest growing cloud meetup in the state with 800+ members. Additionally, Calvin is the driving force behind LoudSwarm by Six Feet Up, a high impact virtual event platform that debuted in June 2020.
Outside of work, Calvin spends time tinkering with new devices like the AWS DeepRacer, CircuitPython and Raspberry Pi. He is an avid distance runner and ran the 2014 NYC Marathon to support the Innocence Project. Before the pandemic, Calvin and his family enjoyed annual extended trips to France where his wife Gabrielle, the CEO of Six Feet Up, is from. Calvin holds a Bachelor of Science from Purdue University.
Calvin is passionate about the open-source community, and he is regularly sought after to share his expertise — both at international conferences and in the media. Some of his recent contributions include: